The function of this division is to provide a range of support services to the operating programs of the Ministry. The major support services that are required are centralized together in this program with a view to ensuring that a consistent and uniform method of operation is applied. This means that common support services can be established, are easily understood by all members of staff and a positive contribution can be made to welding an effective and efficient Ministry wide team approach to all areas and programmes for which the Ministry has responsibility.
The principal roles are:
- Provides a centralized service for administrative and Human Resources support for the Ministry. As well as reception, cashiering, central files and records, main switchboard, secretarial support, personnel records and miscellaneous support service.
- Provides a centralized financial accounting system to enable line managers to effectively and efficiently manage the budget of the Ministry. Prepares and distributes weekly payroll checks to employees, prepares and processes weekly creditors checks to outside suppliers of goods and services. Provides a billing and collection service for works undertaken for other outside agencies and accounts for charges due to programs of the Ministry in respect of central stores issues and the use of transport and plant. Provides oversight of the accounting for most of the Capital Assets of the Government of Bermuda.
- Provides a centralized purchasing and supply function to the other programs of the Ministry and also to other Ministries from time to time. This service ranges from the initial researching of sources of supply, to ordering, to physical receipt of goods, to holding in storage if required or arranging delivery to end user and maintaining an accurate inventory of goods held.
- Provides a centralized service for ongoing development, improvement and maintenance of computerized systems within the Ministry, provides a complete financial service to the Trustees of Government run Golf Courses, conducts special projects on an ad hoc basis relating to legislation, policies, procedures, business systems and ongoing operations, and participates as required on all statutory, appointed, Government wide and internal committees that deal with a wide spectrum of issues and concerns affecting any areas of the operation of the Ministry or considered to be for the good of Government as a whole.
- Provides a centralized service for the administration, management and maintenance of the voice telecommunications systems of the Government of Bermuda. This includes oversight of the Government switchboard and convergence of the voice and data networks which exist across Government.
Contribution to Government Strategies
The program contributes to Government Strategies largely in the areas of Economic Stability & Responsible Management –providing valuable tools by which these strategies can be attained –and Equality of Opportunity -participating actively in the development and training of Bermudian staff in all of the areas covered by the Program.